Sunday, September 6, 2009

SONJA'S - Directly Current counterpart...







During the 1970's Marvel comics was booming with it's sword and sorcery titles. Conan the barbarian was the hotteset book at the time selling just as many copies as Spidey and Hulk.



Red Sonja was selling a fair amount of comics too. Enough to be noticed by market competitor DC comics...so in an effort to compete they hashed this one out and even used an artisit who worked for both companies doing freelance work. Let me see if anyone of you can tell me who that was? Anyway STARFIRE was no match for the Flaming haired one and lost her battle.



One thing though...I have to say she went down swinging!!!

7 comments:

  1. Check out that Green polka dot leotard outfit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's camo! Not polka-dots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny pattern for camo...but ok. I'll take that into consideration and mull it around a bit and see if it jibes with my perception of what I see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh yes. Now I see it after all these years..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually..it does resemble a camo pattern. But I actually thought for all these years it looked like a Dragons hide or lizard scales a bit. Lind of like a Flintstones outfit lol.
    Different artists depict things in ways that they interpret as the way they see it...Camo or scales or paisley or whatever it may be for all intents and purposes. You mentioned camo now I see camo. But in other drawings on other covers for this gal...the design looks different each time with varying sized dots of different proportions. From looking at all of them. I do see...Camo ..scales...Flintstones and even warts like that of a frog...lol.
    I thank you for your input because I never saw camo until now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always loved the green camo scales costume! She would have made a great painting! Fun series and art by Vosburg but unfortunately Coletta's inks were weak on this series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't know if you do fund raiser and auction art like Mr Simonson Joe...but to see you recreate one of these covers with your style and touch...well that would be way cool.

    ReplyDelete